Position Specific Requirements
The Structures Specialist is responsible for performing the various structural assessments for
the task force during incident operations. The Structures Specialist reports directly to the
Planning Team Manager.
Description of Duties
The Structures Specialist is responsible for:
Assessing the structural condition within the area of task force operations, which includes
identifying structure types and specific damage and structural hazards.
Recommending the appropriate type and amount of structural hazard mitigation in order to
minimize risks to task force personnel.
Assisting in the development of task force action plans
Adhering to all safety procedures.
Cooperating with and assisting other search and rescue resources.
Providing accountability, maintenance, and minor repairs for all issued equipment.
Performing additional tasks or duties as assigned during a mission.
Monitoring assigned structure for condition changes while rescue and recovery operations
Assuming an active role in implementing approved structural hazard mitigation as a
designer, inspector, and possibly a supervisor.
Coordinating and communicating the structural related hazard mitigation with US&R IST
Structural Unit Leader.
Position Requirements and Criteria
Individuals who meet the following requirements and criteria will be eligible to become
Structures Specialists in the FEMA US&R Response System. The intent of these requirements
is to select personnel fully capable of providing competent assessments and advice to task
force personnel in the urban disaster environment.
The Structures Specialist shall;
1. Meet all General Training requirements
2. Complete GPS Awareness Training
3. Complete the USACE Structures Specialist Training – StS-1
4. Complete all Technical Rescue Skill Sets as identified in Appendix A
Other Specific Requirements
The Structures Specialist shall;
1. Be currently licensed as a Professional Engineer specialization in structures or equivalent as
sanctioned by the FEMA US&R Structures Subgroup
2. Have a minimum of 5 years experience in structure design and analysis to include evaluation of
existing structures, field investigation or construction observation experience.
The Structures Specialist should;
1. Complete Structural Collapse Technician Training (except for SCT01c)
2. Complete Planning Team Training
3. Complete Operations-level GPS training that includes computer interface that includes the
ability to down-load and up-load maps.
Technical Rescue Skill Sets
Minimum skill set recommendations for Task Force Personnel who enter the hazard zone, i.e.
• General Requirements of NFPA 1670
• Rope Rescue awareness per NFPA 1670*
• Trench Rescue awareness per NFPA 1670
• Confined Space Rescue awareness per NFPA 1670
• Structural collapse awareness, NFPA 1670
• Duties of the Entrant per 29 CFR 1910.146
• * Additional Required Rope Rescue skills;
o Safety considerations during rope rescue operations
o Characteristics of life safety rope and webbing
o Application of rope rescue hardware specific to a lowering operation
o Application of rope rescue hardware and software specific to a belay line
o Assemble and apply a Class III harness
o Assemble and apply a “Hasty Harness”
o Tie a Simple Figure eight knot
o Tie a Figure Eight follow-through knot
o Tie an overhand follow-through with webbing
o Attach a prusik loop to a rope
o Be familiar with anchor systems
o Be familiar with raising and lowering systems
o Proficiency at attaching yourself to, and participating in a raising or lowering
o Proficiency at descending and ascending a fixed line, low angle